Question:
What's the difference between Aussie football and rugby?
crazy4nostalgia
2006-05-20 16:03:10 UTC
What is the difference between Australian football and rugby?
One answer:
AussieTim
2006-05-20 21:42:54 UTC
I am assuming you are American, so think of rugby like American football. Two "lines of scrimmage" hitting against each other, wit hthe purpose to break through the lines and score in an end zone. Played on a rectangular field, 13 or 15 playes per side.

Australian football is more like basketball - in terms of the way the players move. Playes play more of a position style game, and must dribble (in Aussie football we call it bouncing) or pass the ball with foot or hand. Lots of high jumping to catch the ball in contest. Score by kicking ball through posts. Large oval field18 players per side.

Both games are supported passionately in Oz. Little if any padding is worn by the players. Lots of consistent play and hard tackles.