Question:
What makes Andrew Johns the greatest rugby league player ever? If you disagree, who was better?
2006-05-04 22:21:06 UTC
What makes Andrew Johns the greatest rugby league player ever? If you disagree, who was better?
Eight answers:
2006-05-04 23:32:44 UTC
Andrew Johns is, in my view, the greatest player of the modern era and of the best halfbacks of all time. Possibly only Peter Sterling would be at the same level. You only have to look on the impact on Newcastle when he is absent.

Players in the same league as Johns would be the immortals such as Reg Gasnier, Johnny Raper, Bob Fulton, Clive Churchill, Wally Lewis, Graeme Langlands and Arthur Beetson from the Post World War II era in Australia. People more knowledgeable in English rugby league could add nominations. From the pre-war Australian competition, I would add Dave Brown and Dally Messenger. I consider that Andrew Johns will become an Immortal in the fullness of time but it is difficult to compare players between eras.
2016-11-08 07:55:42 UTC
Greatest Rugby League Players
worbsdan
2006-05-07 02:31:21 UTC
His ability to rise to the occasion, the way he can totally dictate a game and dominate opposing teams. And the way he has come back from a couple serious injuries and still be able to play at the highest level. He inspires the younger players around him. The way he single handedly tore apart the Queensland team in the state of origin last year proves what a legend he is. Definately the best player in the modern era. Peter Sterling retired when i was 10 so i cant really compare the two players. I think Joey is the greatest i have ever seen.
kimberhill
2006-05-07 21:31:55 UTC
I think it is his:

a) ability to see an opportunity 2 or 3 plays ahead of anyone else and get his team in a position to take advantage of that opportunity;

b) his commitment to the game. He loves what he does so much and you see that when he plays (he could have made a fortune going to rugby union but didn't because of his loyalty to his game)

c) his willpower to overcome whatever is thrown at him - injury, criticism, pressure.

Not to mention he is dead sexy :)
2006-05-08 05:19:34 UTC
the skill of the man make him the best... The way he can read a game... He is the only player that can do it week in week out...
2006-05-18 11:53:07 UTC
the best player ...i agree

his ability to cotrol the game and read it.

fantastic.
2006-05-06 23:24:01 UTC
Watch one of his games and you will see why
shotie
2006-05-04 22:40:56 UTC
He isn't, I reckon PROLLY Fatty Vautin , He was a HELLA player.

P.S Thanks for ya answer